Belrockton dormitory

Location
Belding, MI
Original Construction
1905
Construction Cost
$270,000
Size
20,000 sqft
Completion Date
2005
State Register of Historic Places

The Belrockton Dormitory was constructed by the Belding Brothers Silk Manufacturing Company to house 125 single women. The building served as a dormitory for about 30 years, until industry and economic declines forced the mills to close. In 1943, new owners converted the building into a student recreation center. The City of Belding purchased the building in 1950 and it currently functions as the city’s museum and community center.

Architects Four, parent company to HopkinsBurns, began working on the building in 1996 with an evaluation of existing conditions and recommendations for restoration and renovation. The study, which the city used in its efforts to raise funds for the building’s renovation, discussed the building’s history and significance, its exterior and interior existing conditions, life safety and barrier free issues, and mechanical/electrical issues. The study also provided recommendations regarding the priority and phasing of tasks as well as probable cost estimates.

Architects Four implemented the first phase of the recommendations in 2005. The work involves selective masonry repair and restoration of the building’s exterior cladding, restoration/repairs of existing wood windows, installation of new interior storm windows, installation of accessible toilet rooms, new elevator within existing building, and rebuilding/recreating the building’s main front porch, as pictured above in 1905.